The Town of Caledon is reviewing its ward boundaries. https://www.caledon.ca/en/government/ward-boundary-review.aspx
Why should we care? The recent reductions in Regional Councillor representation created a need to identify alternative electoral processes for the 2022 election, and restructuring of ward boundaries and resident populations in Caledon.
Your input is needed to advise Council as to whether you wish representation by population or representation based on natural features/community of interests. The needs, issues and population of rural West Caledon is quite different than those of larger urban centers.
Check out “Ward Boundary Review” video from Town of Caledon on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/448934001
The Town will be asking for your input through public information sessions and a survey. The information sessions are scheduled from March 22-31,2021. The public input process will occur in Round 2. You will need to register to participate. We encourage you to participate in the process and think about how our community of interests will be appropriately represented. https://www.caledon.ca/en/government/ward-boundary-review-public-engagement.aspx
The link to access the discussion paper is attached for your review. https://www.caledon.ca/en/government/resources/Documents/council-town-administration/Ward-Boundary-Review-Discussion-Paper-2020.pdf
The uniqueness of rural Caledon must be reflected in municipal/regional processes when decisions are made regarding development, infrastructure, and services.
Here is a Ward 1 Expanded view of you might consider: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zzlPm6u8AvV0RMl-lugW8wiI8l5nj3mM/view?usp=sharing
Ward 1 Expanded Rationale:
- Include all of Niagara Escarpment Plan area and parts of Greenbelt, Oak Ridges Moraine Plan areas.
- Include all Credit River Mill villages; Terra Cotta, Cheltenham, Inglewood, Belfountain, Cataract, Alton and Melville,
- Include the majority of the Credit River watershed in Caledon
- Include Moraines; Oak Ridges, Paris-Galt, Cheltenham, Singhampton, Orangeville and Gibraltar.
- In addition to Ward 1 settlements; include all of Mono Mills, Cheltenham and Terra Cotta
- Simple boundaries easily identified on the ground informing residents of who their representatives are.
- Follow the NE Plan – Credit River in the south-west corner, an established natural boundary.
- Ward 1 now – 9295
- Terra Cotta – ?
- Cheltenham – ?
- Additional countryside – ?
- Total = Maybe 12,000?
Community of Interest: Countryside, small villages, agriculture, local food
Please have your say